Tuesday, September 25, 2012

You hardly ever come across Kryptonite

There are some things in this world that just can't be resisted. They are often physics based, like the attraction between magnets, the pull of a pure vacuum or gravity. Others come down to our will. I believe I will conquer gravity before I am able to master the lure of a buffet breakfast.
I will often walk towards the buffet, adamant that it will be a one plate affair, after all, I exercise regularly to try and keep in acceptable shape, why waste it on a few moments of weakness in a hotel dining room. On that walk, my resolve is always strong. Even as I load my plate well beyond the limits for which it was designed, I justify it by knowing that it will be all that I will be eating for some time and we all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
Alas, it matters not of the quality of the mountain of food I consume, I will come ashamedly back to the bain marie's, as if there were little sirens beconing me, 'it's a buffet, you can have as much as you want, don't miss the opportunity' they sing.
There is no doubt that food is the Kryptonite to my goal of getting super lean. Food however is far more plentiful than the kryptonian mineral, which is bad luck for me and Lex Luther, and just like the green stuff to superman, a buffet breakfast is bad news for me.
It's not just the buffet to tell the truth, it's any promise of 'free' food. Of course it's not free, but the second plate always seems like a bonus. I have the same problem I guess with staff morning tea's and meeting food. Any bonus food is irresistible. It's not that I can't afford my own food, it's not even that I'm hungry, just that its bonus food. I don't even have to like it truth be told.
It's been the case for as long as I can remember. I think my first memory of this phenomenon was the all yo can eat Pizza Hut deal. Even then I can remember thinking of 'all you can eat' as a challenge. Every time I'd walk out feeling sick, saying never again and not believing it. It was at Pizza Hut that I realized that no matter how full you were, you could always fit in some soft serve ice cream. I later found at another venue that this holds true for mini dim sims. It's much harder to avoid encountering mini dimmies than Kryptonite.

No comments:

Post a Comment