Friday, June 4, 2010

A rose by any other name?

There has been a worrying trend for sometime now, that I would suggest is now an ugly epidemic within our schools. That being, ridiculously spelt names. Let me give you an example of some that I have come across as a teacher:
Kyren: Misguidingly pronounced- Keer-Ren. What it spells in the real world -Ky-Ren.
Kattie: Misguidingly pronounced- Kay-Tee. What it spells in the real world Kat-Tee.
Fear not however, I believe I have the cure that will slowly erradicate this blight on our collective intelligences. It's simple. Call it as you see it. Here's an example. You are in a shop and the assistant has her name tag on, Karylie. She helps you and you say, " Thanks Karylie (you pronounce it Carry-Lie). She says, "no, you said it wrong, it's pronounced Carly". You shoot back straight away, "No, I'm afraid it's your parents who got it wrong Carry-Lie".
It may be uncomfortable at first, but what is the option. Do we allow people to keep making a mockery of the laws of the English language. Do we allow them to continue to make us feel that somehow we got the name wrong as we are not as edgy or avant garde as them. By them I mean; Cloe, Kyeleigh, Shavaughn and Showvon et al.
I am an educator and surely it is my responsibility to point out to someone if they are either spelling incorrectly, or mispronouncing their own name. I ask you to join me in my quest to de-boganfy the new births pages of papers all around the country. If you do join me, be prepared. Upon correcting someone who has deluded themselves for many years about how their names should be articulated, you may get the retort " I think I know how my own name sounds", to which I suggest something like "be honest with yourself, you do know, but don't worry it's your parents fault not yours. Here is the number for the registry for births, deaths and marriages and if you get me a pen I'll fix up the spelling for you".
Please join me in my misson, if not for me then for Kodeigh, Karynne, Mitchall and Leessa'h etc. With your help they will no longer have to explain themselves to every new teacher, receptionist and telcom provider. They will not grow up to believe their names are normal and acceptable, leading them to propagate this travisty.

1 comment: