Friday, June 11, 2010

Logophobians don't write blogs

For this blog a knowledge of some phobias may be of assistance:
Logophobia - Fear of words
Ligyrophobia - fear of loud noises
Triskadekaphobia - fear of the number 13
Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia - fear of the number 666
Altophobia - Fear of heights
Phobophobia - Fear of phobias
WARNING: do not read this post if you have phobophobia

It would seem logical that those who were afraid of words would not write blogs, unless they were a touch masochistic. A shame really, I imagine a masochistic logophobe would have plenty to say. I may well be mistaken however and evidence from my own profession of teaching may suggest that it may be more common than reason would dictate.
It strikes me that more and more of my colleagues are going out on stress leave of late. I'm not talking about a couple of mental health sickies here and there. I'm talking long term, bona fide stress leave. Now, I understand as well as anyone the stressful nature of the teaching profession and it is here that my concern sits. Teaching is stressful, that should be no surprise. If you are not good with stress, do not be a teacher. Even more so, if you are not a very good teacher and not good with stress, you should be getting out like a ligyrophobe at an ACDC concert
It got me to thinking how is it even possible. At the time of leaving my previous school there were two teachers who had been getting full pay for a year because, surprisingly enough, things just didn't always go perfectly. Kid's are like that you know.
I can't imagine there being too many accounting firms with a hexakosioihexekontahexaphobe and a triskadekaphobe sitting at home picking up a full paypacket because the sequence of 6's and the pairing of the digits 1 and 3 came up just too often. Or imagine the pilot rocking up to his first day at Qantas. As he boards the 380 airbus looking at his itinery he says, "Oh, this won't do, didn't I tell you about my altophobia, I'm more of a flight simulator man.
No, teacher stress leave seems like a bit of a rort to me. It worries me that I feel that some teachers are starting to factor it into their retirement plans. It worries me, but it's not stressing me out just yet, so I guess I'll be at work again Monday.

Here is a few things that may help keep the stress away, courtesy of teachers index.com
http://teachersindex.com/stress.html

No comments:

Post a Comment